Home » Other » Marketplace » need some tips please...
need some tips please... [message #207353] Tue, 05 December 2006 04:14 Go to next message
ehegagoka
hi!,

i've been programming on oracle for 2+ years now, but I always get into forms & reports, really I dont feel like using this tools, I'd much more like doing pure coding, backend. I like doing pure pl/sql alone, no gui's included, so I thought I'd apply for a dba, but no one accepts me because i dont have any experience on it, only self study. so I decided to change language, ive been programming also in java, so i got hired into a company that does java & c++ for programming chipsets/semiconductors, i just wanna ask if this is a right move for my career, i mean wont my rate get lower? because from oracle then i move into these languages also far from database programming.
thank you so much again sir/mam

rhani
Re: need some tips please... [message #207500 is a reply to message #207353] Tue, 05 December 2006 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I would say that you have the perfect mix to make an excellent Java/Oracle programmer. Too many of the young Java wantabes do all their programming, including data structure definitions, in Java. They know little or nothing about PL/SQL or database code or behaviour. Read the sample chapter 'Developing Successful Oracle Applications' of Tom Kyte's book "Export Oracle, Signature Edition" (Apress) [ISBN:1590595254]. Unless these Java thickies learn and understand how the database on which they are basing their work actually runs then they are doomed to produce mediocre to unuseable applications.

You should put yourself forward as an 'applications DBA', but you probably do need extensive experience in database structure design including tuning before you will be great. Alternatively, sell yourself as the 'data structure designer' or 'data structure API writer'.

David

PS: If I have used a term or colloquialism with which you are not familiar, let me know and I will give a fuller explanation.
Re: need some tips please... [message #207511 is a reply to message #207500] Tue, 05 December 2006 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehegagoka
hi!,
thank you so much sir for your reply it help me a lot =) i wish i had those books, but they never made it here, if it does the price would be 3 to 4 times. if you could please explain further these things => 'data structure designer' or 'data structure API writer'.

regards,

rhani
Re: need some tips please... [message #207516 is a reply to message #207511] Tue, 05 December 2006 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Go to http://www.oracle.com/technology/books/books_downloads.html and the third entry points to a sample of Tom Kyte's publication.

A 'data structure designer' is the person who converts the documented requirements into the data structure and typically creates the ERD (or UML) and the database table definitions, and is usually considered to be the person responsible for the application at the database level.

A 'data structure API writer' is the person who writes the triggers and packages / procedures / functions ( which equates to Application Programmer Interface) that contain the business rules for the database and permits the Java yahoos to access the database without stuffing it up.

David
Re: need some tips please... [message #207520 is a reply to message #207516] Tue, 05 December 2006 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehegagoka
hi!,
thank you very much for your replies, i would prefer the 'data structure API writer', im comfortable with that work, ill read that sample chapter, thank you very much again =) still ill continue doing oracle, pl/sql even when i change language he9x.

regards,
rhani
Re: need some tips please... [message #207930 is a reply to message #207353] Thu, 07 December 2006 07:17 Go to previous message
supor9
Hi,

Oracle + Java is a very good combination.

You can become a JDeveloper (which is used to build Oracle Fusion). But this is a GUI.

Think and decide.

Raj
Previous Topic: Oracle developer available
Next Topic: JOBS IN MUMBAI -----FRESHERS APPLY!!!!!!!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:40:51 CDT 2024