Home » Other » Marketplace » NEED ADVICE I AM CONFUSED???
NEED ADVICE I AM CONFUSED??? [message #204232] Sun, 19 November 2006 09:10 Go to next message
rahuldj
i am working in a software firm on ASP and ORACLE for the last 6
months on one of there project in STATE BANK OF INDIA under guidance of TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICE.We are using oracle as backend and asp as frontend, i am well versed with both.I want to be a oracle dba and i am planning to register for oracle dba certification in january.But before joining i need a advice that dba job involve development? cause i want to be in oracle development.People are telling me that DBA job does not involve development.And can you briefly tell me what job does oracle dba do and what job does oracle developer do?

[Updated on: Sun, 19 November 2006 22:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: NEED ADVICE I AM CONFUSED??? [message #204418 is a reply to message #204232] Mon, 20 November 2006 10:08 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>People are telling me that DBA job does not involve development
Depends on the shop. Depends on the need.
Depends on how you define 'development'.
The SQL and PL/SQL is the language for both Oracle Developer and DBA.
A DBA is supposed to have enough knowledge in these, eventhough not expected to do the coding in everyday life.
A production DBA is one who maintains the production environment/third party apps and may not get much involvement in coding.
A development DBA works very closely with developers.
So, it depends. Technical skills are almost the same. It is just the roles that differ.
Just google around. You may find nice reads like this
http://www.dbazine.com/blogs/blog-cm/craigmullins/blogentry.2005-06-12.2445906428
http://orafaq.com/faqdbacv.htm

A few areas like Backup/recovery are primarily dealt by DBA ( but any developer can handle this too.). Other than that, almost all the skill sets are same.

Previous Topic: Oracle d2k Opening (Bangalore, India)
Next Topic: Oracle Maestro - a new tool for Oracle admin and development
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:14:22 CDT 2024