Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » Running oracle without tnslistener.ora and sqlnet.ora
Running oracle without tnslistener.ora and sqlnet.ora [message #113416] Sat, 02 April 2005 10:57 Go to next message
Rans
HI,
Is it possible to run an Oracle client by deleting tnslistener.ora and sqlnet.ora and retaining only tnsnames.ora..

Sorry if that looks strange ..
In my PC the situation is quite similar..

Can anyone help me with this and explain why actually you require the above mentioned two files

thanks in advance

rana
Re: Running oracle without tnslistener.ora and sqlnet.ora [message #113418 is a reply to message #113416] Sat, 02 April 2005 13:31 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Is it possible to run an Oracle client by deleting tnslistener.ora and sqlnet.ora and retaining only tnsnames.ora

There is nothing called as tnsnlistener.ora.
You must be refering to listener.ora

to talk from to server from a client all you need is tnsnames.ora.

listener.ora is serverside.
in server Listener.ora defines the listner ( names the listener, assigns an sid and port).

sqlnet.ora defines the sql*net properties for the connection ( depending on need it is OPTIONALLY needed in client and server.
for example if you need to encrypt your sql*net connections you specify them in sqlnet.ora. So you need the encryption defined in both server and clientside sqlnet.ora.).

>>In my PC the situation is quite similar..
>>Can anyone help me with this and explain why actually you require the above mentioned two files

it may be becuase you have your database server and client in the same machine.
so you need listener.ora and tnsnames.ora.

Previous Topic: ORA-12154: TNS could not resolve service name
Next Topic: .....OemProblem .. any one knows or Nobody... worked on it ..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:56:45 CDT 2024