Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » Copy command and clear logfile
Copy command and clear logfile [message #68740] Fri, 13 August 2004 02:12 Go to next message
Pratap Zope
Hi,

Please help me in understanding the following.

what is advatage of sqlplus 'copy' command over simple 'insert into as select * from...' to populate table a from data in table b?

what does 'alter database clear logfile' command do?

Thanks,

Regards,

Pratap
Re: Copy command and clear logfile [message #68744 is a reply to message #68740] Fri, 13 August 2004 02:26 Go to previous message
Daljit Singh
Hi,

1) copy command is used to copy data from one database to another. It can also be used to copy data from one table to another in a single schema. And it will be obsolete in future releases of oracle(I am not sure whether its there in 10g or not).

Yes you right we can use create table..as select and insert into .. select to populate data from one table to another, but these are the SQL statements whereas copy is a sqlplus command. Meand copy will wok only and only with sqlplus whereas insert and create you can use from some another language also.

2) 'alter database clear logfile' will clear the logfile or say recreate the logfile and you will have a fresh logfile copy. It is basically used to clear a corrupted logfile.

Daljit Singh
Previous Topic: I can connect as SYSTEM without password!
Next Topic: 10g EM DB Control Problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:45:04 CDT 2024