Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » Basic Questions About Oracle Management Server.
Basic Questions About Oracle Management Server. [message #68477] Wed, 22 October 2003 15:48 Go to next message
D. Farris
Greetings,
I am very new to Oracle and have a lot of questions. We currently run MS-SQL and are Converting to Oracle. I'm taking a course, but just not learning what I need to know fast enought. So I am turning to this list for some insight.
We have a Dell 6450 with Oracle 9v Standard Edition installed. From what I have learned so far to automate any type of database notification and backup automation the Management Server needs to be used. From what I have read this inteneded for the Enterprise Edition of Oracle, or can this run with Standard Edition Node? Is there any third part software that will accomplish what the Management Server can do? Would installing the Managment Server on another machine require an Enterprise license?
Thank you for your time in advance.
D. Farris
Re: Basic Questions About Oracle Management Server. [message #68481 is a reply to message #68477] Wed, 05 November 2003 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Hi Farris,

Even I also recommend to use Oracle Enterprise Edition for Backup automation & other purpose. But here I am able to do most of the things through Oracle Standard Edition. U can use Oracle Management Server for backup automation & even u can create oem repository db in case u want to monitor from any client machine.

Regarding third party backup s/w, Veritas is one of the best s/w. Here u have to use Oracle Agent of Veritas to take hot backup. Even u can use IDR for Full system backup(but full system backup sometimes is very tedious in case u encounter any error).

Regards,
Sachin
Re: Basic Questions About Oracle Management Server. [message #68536 is a reply to message #68477] Wed, 28 January 2004 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeelani
I am new to Oracle.I have problem to connect OMS.Where as i am able to connect database directly.If i connect direct database connect then i am unable to export and import data from other sources.How i connect to OMS?

Importing data through imp commnad from DOS is ok.Is it possible to import data (orcle.dmp )through plsql file?
Followups [message #68562 is a reply to message #68536] Sat, 28 February 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Luton
I have wiped the Oracle installation three times on XP hoping to get the OMS to work.

1. This is a stand-alone XP server and all I want to do is test RMAN scenarios. The stupid thing seems to want me on a domain of some kind.

2. I tried to install just OMS, and this failed.

3. I put OMS in the default database created by the 9.2.0.1 install and it still won't let me login.

SAYS it can't find the OMS anywhere.

Does this OMS version function?
What am I missing?
It just needs a DB to connect to right?

Todd Luton
Oracle 8i OCP
NC, USA
Re: Followup to OMS problem [message #68563 is a reply to message #68562] Sat, 28 February 2004 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Luton
Ok I got it to work. I had to put an entry in my hosts file. Otherwise OMS will not work stand-alone.
Sorry if I wasted anyone's time
Re: Basic Questions About Oracle Management Server. [message #68570 is a reply to message #68536] Fri, 05 March 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pradeep sanap
" How to configure the Oracle Management server for exporting and importing the oracle database "
please help us as early as possible.
Re: Followup to OMS problem [message #68573 is a reply to message #68563] Wed, 10 March 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
samy
hosts file ??
tnsnames.ora or sqlnet?

Tahnks
Re: Basic Questions About Oracle Management Server. [message #68576 is a reply to message #68477] Wed, 10 March 2004 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zaw Myo Aung
I want to backup the Oracle 9i database.

When I try it asked me to join to OMS.

Can you please tell me how can I join to OMS.

I'm running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.
Oracle 9i Database

Regards,
Zaw Myo Aung
Re: Followup to OMS problem [message #68578 is a reply to message #68573] Thu, 11 March 2004 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Luton
If I don't put an entry in the in The /Windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file I cannot connect to the OMS reposiitory when running OEM and OMS together on a Windows XP Pro box.

I just tried it without it and I got a "host not recognized when I tried to connect to the OMS repository. The OEM uses a DNS lookup to find the repository database.
An entry in tnsnames.ora (at least in my case) is not enough to make it work.

regards,
Todd Luton
Re: Followup to OMS problem [message #68580 is a reply to message #68578] Mon, 15 March 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Arick
This may help all of you out there because I just spent an hour going through how I get this thing to run.

tsnames.ora - Make sure you have the correct information here for your OMS repository instance. Once installed, don't change the name. Be sure the host matches what you have in your hoats file. You may want to put your server's IP address here because after a DNS/Host file lookup, that's where it's resolving to.

windowssystem32etcHOSTS - This file resolves netbios names into IP addresses. You will need an entry here if you are on a small LAN without a DNS server or can't add entries to your DNS server. Your clients' hosts file will also need to be altered to use Netbios names. Otherwise, use the server's IP address in all of your TSNAMES,ORA files.

Hope this helps. I altered the
Re: Followup to OMS problem [message #68581 is a reply to message #68580] Mon, 15 March 2004 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Luton
My OMS is named jetstar.andromeda which OEM cannot locate without the entry in /hosts on each client running OEM.

Tnsnames works fine using DNS to resolve IP addresses for databases on any computer in LAN.

Hopes that helps to clarify. Should I have named the OMS for the workstation? Think I messed up there.

Todd
Default password of OMS [message #68583 is a reply to message #68536] Tue, 16 March 2004 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abhishek
i want to ask what is the default administrator & password of OMS. please reply asap.

Abhishek
Re: Basic Questions About Oracle Management Server. [message #68592 is a reply to message #68570] Sat, 27 March 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vinit date
" How to configure the Oracle Management server for exporting and importing the oracle database "
Re: Default password of OMS [message #68609 is a reply to message #68583] Wed, 07 April 2004 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luke
Administator: sys
password: oem_temp
Re: Default password of OMS [message #68860 is a reply to message #68583] Mon, 06 December 2004 09:15 Go to previous message
Garland Mack
When first setting up OMS and configuring the repository the default password will be sysman/oem_temp.
Previous Topic: forgot password for OMS sysman
Next Topic: SNMP Support in 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:53:52 CDT 2024