Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » tnsproc to get from cics region to an oracle database on aix (version 8 on tnsproc)
tnsproc to get from cics region to an oracle database on aix [message #668768] Tue, 13 March 2018 14:01 Go to next message
chinatrain99
We are running oracle connectors v8 on the mainframe. we use tnsproc so our CICS regions can get to our aix oracle servers. I'm in the OS staff. my predecessors never went real far on this issue and we are on an unsupported version. Here's the issue: every 7 months or so, tnsproc gets "tired" and we have to IPL. We cannot cancel tnsproc, restart, and get it to connect. I believe it's got something to do with the subsys being active and oracle can't handle it. I've tested with another product and it just gave me a message subsys was active and went on. TNSPROC just "acts" like things are fine. i can't delete the subsys dynamically but i was hoping to change the name of the subsys and bring tnsproc up with a new subsys name. the problem is that every piece of jcl will have to be changed every time this may happen.

oracle cics regions and jcl have this statement:

//TNS@TNS8 DD DUMMY

is there a way to change that statement so that I can put the name of the oracle subsys in a dataset? then, all i would have to do when it gets tired is to change tnsproc to "tnsx", recycle tsnsproc, update file, and then recycle the cics regions. all jcl would be using the dataset so things would only have to be changed in 2 places. that's my dream anyway.

it would be a lot quicker and the outage (we're law enforcement) would be minimal.

any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks, jeff
Re: tnsproc to get from cics region to an oracle database on aix [message #668769 is a reply to message #668768] Tue, 13 March 2018 15:48 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
Best Wishes on getting useful response on ancient software.
About 3 decades ago I used to be fluent in JCL, but I have forgotten everything I knew about it.
Consider find a CICS forum like below & posting there

http://cicsworld.com/

I was surprised to see that the most recent release of CICS was only 3 years ago

IBM logo.svg
Initial release 1968; 50 years ago
Stable release
CICS Transaction Server V5.3 / December 11, 2015; 2 years ago
Development status Active
Operating system z/OS, z/VSE
Platform IBM System z
Previous Topic: Require detailed guide for the individual installation steps of Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.3.10
Next Topic: Oracle database on OpenStack
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:51:05 CDT 2024